Meet this amazing woman, Peta Ryan, mum of three, personal trainer, clinical nutritionist, lifestyle blogger and read her professional opinion on health !!!
- Introduce yourself? Hi, I’m Peta, I’m a Personal Trainer and qualified nutritionist. I’m a mum of three beautiful kids all under the age of seven, including an additional needs child. I’ve been a very proactive health professional for the past 6 years running my own Personal training business, specialising in women’s health and training, as that is where my passion lies! I’ve always been very focused on developing balance and empowerment for my clients because I believe without both your foundations will be weak. Making your journey so much harder. As Ana refers to “losing your excuses” you also have to beat your mind and work out why your excuses are what you find every time you look rather than the reasons to why you CAN make the change! I am doing what I’m doing because I do believe everyone deserves to maintain a life that they can be proud of one that they can live to the fullest and one where they know that they deserve to live! I’m being the change I want to see in this world one person at a time, one life at a time!
- What pushed you towards becoming a nutritionist? My girls ( my mummy clients) the women who are raising our future, the ones that were lost in the ways in which food affects our bodies at a biological and chemical level. I felt I need to be the soft voice of knowledge for them, the voice which empowered their choices and then also that of their children. These children are our future and the earlier their health foundations are set the better their futures look! Becoming a nutritionist was a very natural shift because I was already helping them change their physical but without the correct nutrition knowledge, some of my girls felt defeat because they were not seeing the results they thought they would! Balance remember it’s all important and this is just another facet of creating balance!
- In your opinion what’s the biggest cause of weight gain? (sugar, too many calories, personal problems, etc.) Honestly, I believe that people look at food as an indulgence, when they need to look it as the view that it’s the fuel to which powers our lives and ultimately our bodies. Indulgences are a crutch for some people, it’s at times the only thing they find comfort in and the only thing they feel they can control in their lives. I’ll tell you right now it isn’t it’s just another excuse to hide behind! I know that sounds a little harsh but truly it isn’t meant like that, how it is meant is that finding comfort and security in food is a negative based activity because you’re doing more damage to a body and mind that is already damaged to a degree! You’re not believing in yourself enough and you’re hiding behind the excuse that “it makes me feel good” because yeah it may for like 10 minutes but I guarantee soon enough the guilt will come and then a vicious cycle develops and everything spirals out of control!
- How much is having a successful mind set important during weight loss journey? It is as far as I’m concerned the most important thing to develop or have during a weight loss journey! Your mindset is what determines whether you fail and succeed and it is generally set right before you begin your journey. So if I could give anyone a pieces of advice it would be that if you don’t know the reasons WHY you need to make these changes or you are making them purely for societies perception of you then I want you to stop and I want you to work out WHY you need to do this for you! You might say it’s because “you’re fat” fair enough BUT why degrade yourself by calling yourself fat? You need to be able to honestly turn that statement around and be able to say ” I’m a big over weight but I want to be able to move easier, sleep better and breathe better.
- Why is important to eat healthy? Because simply it is what fuels you and it is what determines your health! I use this as a perfect example, you’ve got a beautiful orchid in bloom it’s fresh it’s vibrant and it’s stunning! An orchid needs the time it needs patience and it needs the right care to be able to survive! If you were to wake every day and pour a mixture of water sugar salt and artificial chemicals on to over time the plant will slowly wilt, then it will lose its vibrancy, then it would stop blooming and eventually die! Your body is this orchid, such a simple beautiful thing but one that needs nurture and nurtures with the correct nutrition of it too will wilt, lose its vibrancy and then eventually die prematurely because you haven’t given it what it needs to survive!
- What are your healthy daily rituals and what do you suggest to do every day in order to have a healthy lifestyle? Drink water and plenty of it!!! Make sure you start the day with something that’s going to boost your metabolism but isn’t heavy! Drink, eat and enjoy your greens!!!! Photosynthesis is as important for plants as it is for our bodies, so give your bodies the chance to repair and recover! Cut the CRAP, carbonated refined and processed foods, your bodies are worth more than to brew a chemical storm within! Plus there are alternatives that you can and will enjoy if you give them the chance!
- What is in common to all your clients and how you respond to that? It’s simple and some will never be able to be open enough to actually see it. It comes right down to a personal perception of themselves! Generally, they’ve built up so much hate, negativity and helplessness towards themselves, their lives and their circumstances that all they begin to see and feel is hate negativity and helplessness! They build a facade that they don’t even believe and one they hide behind while hating themselves in the process pretending to everyone around them that they couldn’t be happier and are completely comfortable with how they look feel and live each day! It isn’t my job to call people out and help aid them to hate themselves but I do believe it is my job to support them and help them to believe in themselves their abilities and show them the positivity and drive that is deep down within them and that life is so much more than the surface value because it is!
- What’s your message for the people who are trying to lose weight? Just get up off that couch, open your front door and ask yourself “has the sun risen today?” If it has and your answer is yes, then realise with every single brand new day you have the opportunity and chance to change your life, change how you feel about yourself! You are alive and you’re alive not to waste it hating yourself because honestly it’s soooooo much easier to love yourself then it is to hate yourself! Hating takes way too much time and energy, a deep dark hole is a pretty lonely place isn’t it and that right here is what hating yourself is like! So just like the rising sun offering you the opportunity of a band new day, loving yourself enough to change is offering you something vibrant, less isolating and lonesome! It’s offering you the chance to finally stop fighting and LIVE!